- Bacon - Thick Cut
- 5 lbs Red Potatoes
- 5 lg Shallots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/2 C Vinegar (use a lighter acid such as Champagne or white wine vinegar)
- 1/3 C Sugar
- 2 TB Dried parsley (or fresh as a garnish)
- Coarse salt and black pepper, add to taste as this will need pinches of salt
This Red Potato Salad with Bacon recipe goes by many names and might have different ingredients. In some families it may be called German Potato Salad and might include a bit of hardboiled egg. If that's the case, be sure to toss in 3 cooked, sliced eggs at the end of this recipe.
Recently, we took this dish to a family backyard cookout and were reminded that some recipes are timeless and that just a few great ingredients really make the dish.
We used our thick cut bacon for this recipe, if you prefer a thin cut, it doesn't change a thing.
Red Potato Salad with Bacon
- Add 5 lbs of washed red potatoes to a large pot.
- Cover with water,
- Bring to a boil and allow to cook for 5 minutes. Place lid on pot, turn off heat, and let potatoes sit. They will soften and you will know they are done when you can easily insert a toothpick- about 15 minutes.
- Carefully drain and slice each potato into chunks of your desired size. Leave skin on.
- Place in serving bowl and allow to sit.
- Meanwhile, use kitchen scissors or a sharp knife to cut all of the bacon into small strips.
- Add to a large, high sided skillet.
- Cook the bacon until browned and then scoot to the side of the pan and reduce the heat. Add the sliced shallots and allow to just soften, about 5 minutes. Combine with bacon.
- Sprinkle the pan mixture with the sugar, salt and pepper, stir in.
- Remove from heat and carefully add in the vinegar.
- If you are using dried parsley- fold in with the mixture.
- Stir this and fold into the potatoes.
- If you are using fresh parsley- fold in with the mixture.
This is best served warm or at room temperature. If you are making ahead, reheat to a warm temperature. Don't overheat.