- 12 ounces of pasta- We used fresh linguine
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper, as needed
- 1/4 cup of high-quality, cold pressed olive oil
- 8-10 large garlic cloves, sliced
- - Italian Pizza Sausage -
- 2 tsp ground fennel
- 1/2 to 1 tsp red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3/4 C dry white wine (such as Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced
- 1 pound of Tuscan Kale, washed and removed from center stems
- Garnish of fresh Parmesan or Romano cheeses
- *Reserved pasta water
In a large pot, bring at least 4 quarts of salted water to a boil.
Cook pasta according to package directions but stop short of complete doneness (al dente). Reserve 1 cup of pasta water for later use in this recipe. Set water and drained pasta aside.
While pasta is boiling, heat oil and garlic in a large skillet until just soft, about 5 minutes.
Add ground sausage (this is also fantastic with our ground beef and ground turkey) to skillet and crumble while cooking.
Add sliced peppers and sliced sweet onion. Stir until slightly soft, over a medium heat.
Add in the wine, reserved pasta water, ground fennel, red pepper flakes, and allow to reduce on medium heat, 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat.
Add in kale, and top with hot, cooked pasta.
Using tongs, lightly toss all to combine.
Top with a dusting of freshly shaved Parmesan or Romano cheese.